Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

In the streets of NYC

Walking down the street and chewing on samosa , I was typing a witty message to a friend when my thoughts were rudely interrupted by “Big Butt!!”… I stopped and looked around and sure enough he was staring at me with this macho smile and look like I was one of the website girls who kept posting their spandex wrapped big booties on line and I should have been happy with the comment. I walked by… and suddenly I realized that for past two weeks I had the weirdest people coming up to me with the most weirdest phrases and I thought- is it me? Oh, how I missed the street of NYC- it was not me- it was the fact that I finally got out in the street and stopped driving from door to door and living Buffy Life from dusk to dawn. That and the spring in the air and the general happiness of mine- only sporadically interrupted by splashes of depression due to over-thinking, drama and life-happens-shit generally. By the New Yorkers, never let me down and if I find a minute to walk two three blocks there is always something happening, that reminds me that there is always a better outlook – all it takes is a positive thought. Today fro example, except the compliment to my big butt, I was told Good Morning with very meaningful smile from a dude right before I entered the deli, yesterday I was told by another weirdo “You are very beautiful, even though you have a real bad hair day” – to which all I had to say was- dude, did you have to point out the obvious? And then I kept touching my hair throughout the day- but there was little I could do, I did have a very bad hair day.

The other masterpiece was a guy, who works for me, telling me that with the short haircut I now look like Kim Kardashian – to which I said only that I did not realize that she had short hair- NOT, I guess it was the famous butt again. And then there was a random stranger following me in the street yesterday when I told me if I could enter his number into my phone so that we could go for dinner one day. Funny….. except the part where I did give in and gave him my number. That actually worries me because there are guys around the city with my phone number and my block list just keeps on growing but let’s stay focused.  Then a guy asking me in the store if I enjoyed the highline because he saw me having lunch there and couple more odd and weird things but it made me think about couple of things:

First of all that I am pretty and have a nice butt – oh jeez I am sure there is no need to blog about that but on the days when you are blue, even that cheers up and changes perspective. Second of all that to be in a good mood you just have to walk down the streets of Gotham with the right attitude and you will be in happy mood in no time.

Most importantly it reminded me that not only sometimes but all the time it is about our attitude towards life. We can be pissed at a homeless guy that he tells us we are pretty thinking :what a jerk, how dare he- such a lowlife” or…… say, look, I am pretty, and even this fellow New Yorker with much on his mind takes a minute to notice- smile and make this city a kinder place.

I love getting back in touch with the city that inspires me so much! Walking, working, dancing, dining, shopping, brooding – whatever it is we choose to do, if we listen carefully, focus on positive and enjoy every day- we will discover how many amazing things happen to us every day and how many people can step in our lives – even if it is for a brief second and with “vulgar” compliment and make it all brighter and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment